Care continues to be task orientated. We understand that, and we know that there are ways that physical activity can be incorporated into the daily routine whether that is during washing and dressing, sitting, waiting for a meal or getting into and out of bed.
We will call him Bill. Bill struggles to transfer from bed to chair and needs to use a turn safe. He is deteriorating and soon he will need double handed care. What can you do?
- We would encourage him to stand for longer (moments) when supported on the turnsafe.
- Encourage leg strength by using the exercises set out by us to build strength
- Make it fun and distract him with rising and lowering from the chair, setting goals… two more than we can have a rest.
- Work on sitting away from the back of his favourite chair to build up core strength
- Work on arm exercises to build pulling and pushing strength
It sounds complex but it is so easy when you hold the information and Bill’s quality of life will improve.