As an instructor it is important to reflect on everything you deliver. To be the best version of ourselves in all aspects of life we should reflect on how we perceive ourselves and how others perceive us.
Self reflection helps to build emotional self-awareness. By taking the time to ask yourself the important questions, you gain a better understanding of your emotions, strengths, weaknesses and driving factors.
One of life’s learning is self-reflection. When we reflect, we get to know ourselves much better, and this is something we will discuss further on in this programme. Self-reflection and the ability to self-coach is also a great method of learning as it develops self-reliance.
Throughout the programme, you will be tasked with journaling at the end of most lessons.
The art of journaling as a whole is a therapeutic brain dump and can serve as a light into your dark, unexplored recesses of your mind.
- Some people use an app on their mobile phone, or keep notes on the go with Evernote. You may wish to journal on your computer. Whatever you choose, make it yours. Let it reflect who you are and make sure it works with your lifestyle; otherwise you will stop.
- Write when you can, ideally at a regular time in the day. You will be starting a new habit like brushing your teeth. Some people like to write first thing when they wake up, before their conscious mind creeps into the writing. Some like to do it before bed.
- You can doodle, make lists, draw a mind map, ask questions, etc. There is no right or wrong way to journal, and if you are new to journaling, take time to nurture this new habit. It does not matter if it is one word, or if you write pages. Through your scribbles, you will be able to explore patterns, observe your fears and gain a deeper understanding of yourself.
- If you are stuck on what to write, here are some questions to prompt you:
- How are you feeling?
- How was your work today?
- Are you happy with your life right now?
- What are some things you are grateful for today?
- Did you learn anything today?
- Are you noticing patterns that you would like to change?